lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV best route to email

From: Anthony Tong
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV best route to email
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 17:30:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
> to follow up on what David Woolley said:
> > > This is especially for the web based email
> > > services like hotmail, usa.net, valise.com
> > > during the send command.
> >
> > > Both my ISP provider nor the
> > > web-based free email providers are
> > > unable to solve the bug.
> >
> > Some background information might also be useful, as using US based
> > web servers for email doesn't seem to be the best way of getting email
> > connectivity from somewhere which is unlikely to have good connections
> > to the USA and where phone calls are expensive.  In particular, if your
> > main requirements are for email, a shell account is unlikely to be the
> > best solution.
> >
> I didn't quite follow this last.  Are you saying "if your main
> requirement is for email get POP mail service over a PPP
> connection"?

My guess of what the problem is (what the original poster was trying to
explain) that the updated lynx that his isp uses fails to send forms
properly on pages such as hotmail's.

> The hotmail service, I believe, is an http-accessed gateway into

Hotmail doesn't advertise this (maybe they don't know?), but you can
access your mailbox via POP3 on www.hotmail.com. So it's not a totally
useless service, :-)

;
;