lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV cookie handling

From: Matthew Kelly
Subject: LYNX-DEV cookie handling
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:43:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I've been a lurker on the list for a while, contributing comments or
suggestions now and then but until now, not any code contributions. I've
got something I'd like to implement now, and I need some feedback on how
the semantics should be for it.

What I'd like to do is have a setting that is saveable by the user to the
.lynxrc that allows them three choices -- (1) be prompted to accept
cookies as is the way now when LYSetCookie is TRUE (I'm calling it
"choice" so far), (2) never accept cookies frmo domains that aren't
already established in the cookie page with a rule that accepts from
there, ("never") or (3) always accept cookies frmo domains that aren't
already established in the cookie page with a rule that denies from there
for the domain ("always").

What I'd like to know is whether those semantics make sense or will they
just confuse the issue?  I like the concept of honouring already existing
rules from the session (ie always from a certain domain), because once
you've established these you could turn to "never" and not be bothered
again but still have cookies enabled for those specific domains.  What I
look forward to is state information saved about these rules, which would
really add to this utility.

I've basically got the above implemented, but it still needs a bit of
polish.  What I'd like to do is simplify things.  With the cookie handling
as above, is there still a need for the LYSetCookies settings in lynx.cfg
and the -cookies command line switch?  If not, I'd like to appropriate
that switch so its settable from the command line ... lynx
-cookies=choice, lynx -cookies=never , lynx -cookies=always (or just lynx
-cookies for the default of choice)   I've noticed that LYSetCookies seems
to be referenced from the WWW stuff ... Is it okay to just initialize it
to "TRUE" and let the new code handle accepting cookies?

I was just waiting for feedback so I could polish and then post diffs, but
if people'd like, let me know and I'll generate them frmo what I have and
post them.

thanks,

-Matt

PS -- Apologies if this comes out twice... I was subscribed from an
address (address@hidden) thats now transitioned to
address@hidden, so I wasn't a subscriber in the eyes of the list so my
posting didn't get through.