lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 8

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 8
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:10:40 -0500 (CDT)

You (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
> interestingly enough, Klaus didn't know the relevant Lynx code until he
> started
> working on it.

Greetings. I suck in C, didn't know lynx at all, but the multi-bookmarks was
something I couldn't live without so it took me about 5-8 hours to figure out
where I needed to hook myself in, write the code and announce the first
patch. It wasn't great, it killed your bookmarks file now and then (turns red),
but it was a start. Went up to patch-09 before people liked it enough for
Fote to do the deed and [from my perusing] rewrite it the way it SHOULD be
done and, well, I use that every day.

> If I recall, we've seen messages by both Fote and Klaus separately 'warning'
> us that they have lives outside of lynx and that in Fote's case, he is not
> in the 'development of lynx' "business" any longer.  I forget the specifics of

I think the idea is that it's a LOT harder for them to find time to write
something from soneone's day-dream but if you release a set of horribly
ugly patches that tarnish their beautiful code... they manage to find it

[smirk]

> forward with code, such as Laura, Tom, etc. or folk need to be satisfied with
> lynx as it is today and it never improves again.

Actually, I'm rather happy with it now (Lynx Version 2.7 from xxx months ago :-)
so unless someone can give me idea of what I can not live without :-) I'm
quite pleased with what it has now. Ok, tables would be nice but that's WAYYYY
over my head.

You know, Lynx is something that I would open my locked wallet and pay $99.95
for. Can't say that for anything else I've used except my Boxed Set of Red
Hat 4.1 Linux :-)

Take care.
;
;