lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Getting proxies to work

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Getting proxies to work
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 14:48:46 -0400

>If sysadmins installing lynx are concerned on behalf of their users,
>it would be trivial to pop the argument processing code inside a
>#ifdef COMMANDLINE_AUTH block and set it appropriately in userdefs.h

Unfortunately, hard coding an id and password in the userdefs.h file is
no solution either.  Perhaps what one could do is install a couple of
small set uid or set gid programs which read the password from a protected
file (protected by permissions or for more security encryption) which then
uses the passwords without passing them in the clear.

Security on any type of machine is not easy.  Security on a multi-user
OS not written with protection in mind is a real bear.
;