lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 11:03:29 +0900 (JST)

>       In general, if one could count on Unix sites creating a series
> of /tmp/$USER directories for each account the system supports, and to

This post should be to the todo or wish list, but having Lynx
automatically set up a secure `/lynx' tree under /tmp rather than
having to `count on Unix sites' to do it, would be very advantageous.

Screen automatically makes the directories that I mentioned in my post
of a few minutes ago (which there is no need to answer unless there is
some loophole someone knows of).  These directories are not removed
after exiting although the files therein are.  The disk space used is
really negligible, and I think most sites would accept the trade of a
bit of disk space for having secure and private temp_space for their
users.  Actually, the system Screen uses when applied manually to Lynx's
handling of temporary files is convenient for system management when
you have a bunch of first-time users who'd rather flick off the power
switch or press ^C than do a regular Q)uit and logout.  Root can monitor
those directories against ps or who (+ping) output grepped for the user,
and delete dead files.

When Screen is built and installed in $HOME by a user, the tmp tree can
be opened there in $HOME, too.

__Henry
;
;