lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 20:25:01 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>> Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> >try inserting a statement
>> >
>> >    signal(SIGTSTP, SIG_DFL)
>> >
>> >a) before the setup(terminal) call,
>> >
>> >OR
>> >
>> >b) before the mainloop() call.
>> >
>> >Does it change anything?
>>
>>      I don't understand your logic for that suggestion.
>
>Just a suggestion for testing, not for a permanent change.

        Oh.

>I looked at what ncurses does, it installs an interrupt handler for
>SIGTSTP but only if it finds the action to be SIG_DFL when it is
>initialized.

        Yes, and apparently HP's curses does too, since Hiram just
reported that setting it to SIG_DFL after the setup() call (which
chains to a start_curses() call) messes things up.

>> Lynx doesn't do anything itself for SIGTSTP
>
>...except in the for-unix SLANG start_curses()...

        Right, but Hiram doesn't have any problem with sl_suspend() for
slang.

>>                                 unless the command line switch for
>> disabling escapes to shell was included.  Including that signal()
>> call wouldn't change anything normally, [..]
>
>It might have (in the first location) if the initscr() (whatever gets
>executed for Hiram's curses) depends on SIG_DFL for correct
>initialization, and for some strange reason that wasn't set.
>
>Anyway, I am not sure what exactly Hiram's symptoms are, I didn't really
>follow his description.. but it seems something with his curses is wrong,
>right?

        Yes, apparently he needs so contact HP for a patch to its
curses SIGTSTP handler.

                                Fote