lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with the new DTD

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with the new DTD
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 17:27:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Roger Hill wrote:

> HI.
> These notes relate to 2.7.1-ac-0.19, so they may be outdated.
>
> 1. http://www.neworleans.com/no_magazine/31.6.30-CITYDINER.html
> If I view this with the new DTD, all the formatting is lost.  Doing Ctrl-V
> brings back the (I suppose correct) formatting.

0.24 deals with it much better, although not as well as Fote's "tag soup"
parsing.  Fote's approach just is better for this kind of problem, where
tags are "interdigitated" but still each start tag (which needs one) still
has a corresponding end tag (only not in the right order).

One reason for me to keep trying with the kinda-SGML parser (as Fote put
it) is that Rob's character style code depends on elements being non-empty
in order to colour them.  (Referring to the available code, not some
hypothetical new-and-improved version.)  I haven't really looked how it
works, it may or may not be easy to change that.

> 2. So, I went to download the latest version, WITHOUT turning off the old
> DTD.  The download is ok, but the "Save to Disk" page is blank, except for
> the status line at the bottom. Doing Ctrl-v at that point seems not to
> repaint the screen correctly; and hitting "enter, enter" blindly to save
> the file failed to save it.

I am not sure what you tried to download, and how.
I haven't seen something like this in a while.  But a blank "Save to Disk"
page (or a blank page of many of the other special pages which Lynx
creates may result from failed writing of temp files (probably /tmp/ disk
full), which may not be detected.
If it's not that, try whether something like that still happens with 0.24.

   Klaus

;
;