lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 8

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 8
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:12:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    But let's get back to the Makefile issue... I see you saying that the
> autoconfigure script produces a Makefile that one can verify and modify if
> necessary. However, I claim that it is much more productive to do this with
> a static Makefile than with one that's auto-generated each time.

As has been said numerous times by numerous people, this discussion is
pointless.  From what I understand, there WILL be a static makefile
included with the distribution for those few targets which don't support
autoconfig.  The rest of the targets will use autoconfig to create one
generic target which will compile on probably even more targets that the
"monster" makefile that currently exists.

While you and I and many other people on this list enjoy poking and
prodding Makefiles, it has become somewhat of a lost art, and many
sysadmins are unwilling to take the time to do it.  One of the most
frequent requests has been the inclusion of autoconfig to speed and
simplify compiling lynx.  The true makefile enthusiasts are definitely in
the minority.

Just give it a rest until we see what the autoconfig version will and will
not do.  Also, please quit changing the subject by adding numbers and
incrementing them.  It plays hell with trying to thread the messages by
subject.  Thanks.