lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: re SPAM

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: re SPAM
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 20:12:58 -0400

My approach is to call (or fax) the ISP of the return address directly (do
a whois on the xxx.com).  The service agreements usually say that any bulk
emailing is reason for account cancellation, and aren't specific that it
must originate at the account.  This is because I can turn around and
reply with "Please do not SPAM" several hundred thousand times.

SPAM is far less effective when email cannot be used to respond, and
instant account cancellation makes this happen.

Even cyberpromo had to add a remove option (see www.cyberpromo.com, or
www.agis.net who has a pointer to an article saying that they will only
allow bulk emailers that connect to an opt-out list).

Whoever this new group is, their NSP will nuke their connection since spam
origin sites attract denial of service attacks which annoy the NSP as much
as the spammer, unless they require that they subscribe to the opt-out
list.

;
;