lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: mailcap comments

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: mailcap comments
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 12:22:58 -0400

From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> By the way, Larry,
>
> On Tue, 13 May 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
>
> > POST /cgi-bin/uncgi/search HTTP/1.0
> > Host: www.midwinter.com
> > Accept: x-conference/x-cooltalk, application/x-candleweb,
> > x-conference/x-coolta
> > lk, x-world/x-vrml, video/x-mpeg, application/x-wt, application/x-rasmol,
> > appli
> > cation/x-xdma, audio/x-pn-realaudio, application/x-chat,
> > text/tab-separated-val
> > ues, application/applefile, application/pgp, application/x-ccitcl,
> > application/
> > safe-tcl, multipart/enabled-mail, application/x-tgif,
> > application/view_pctdoc,
> > application/framemaker, video/*, application/pdf, sun-deskset-message,
> > mail-fil
> > e, default, postscript-file, audio-file, x-sun-attachment, text/enriched,
> > text/
> > richtext, application/andrew-inset, x-be2, application/postscript,
> > image/ps, im
> > age/postscript, application/x-dvi, application/x-tex,
> > application/postscript, m
> > essage/external-body, message/external-body, message/partial, image/*,
> > image/x-
> > xwd, image/gif, image/jpeg,     compose=audiocompose%s, auplay%s, audio/*,
> > imag
> > e/*, image/jpeg, text/html, text/plain, text/sgml, text/x-sgml,
> > application/x-w
> > ais-source, application/html, video/mpeg, image/jpeg
> > Accept: image/x-tiff, image/x-rgb, image/x-png, image/x-xbitmap,
> > image/x-xbm, i
> > mage/gif, application/postscript, */*;q=0.001

> Do you need all that stuff (presumably in your mailcap files)?  all that

That stuff started with metamail, and has been added onto by Mosaic,
Netscape, HotJava, etc.  At this point in time, I don't know what all needs
what and so in general am afraid of adding things to the mix.

> packets instead of one for the request, and make requests slower.  There
> is a lot of stuff which isn't walid MIME types (doesn't have a slash),

Okay - I will try commenting out the stuff without a slash.

> probably from the original metamail.  If that is really of any use, then
> probably not with Lynx, and you might consider using a different mailcal file
> for Lynx.  There is also stuff where the mailcap didn't get parsed correctly
> or has the wrong syntax, "compose=audiocompose%s" and "auplay%s" definitely
> shouldn't be there.

These ones are rather interesting.  I guess I misunderstood the file format.
I had commented out the first line of the entries, but it appears that
lynx at least, and perhaps other stuff, tries to use the continuation lines.
That's probably obvious to the expert but wasn't to me.

> > Accept-Charset: iso latin 1, iso-8859-1;q=0.001, us-ascii;q=0.001
>
> You must have typed that in on the Options screen.  It is invalid
> and also unnecessary.  The valid way to say "iso latin 1" is "iso-8859-1",
> and that is already being said and is the HTTP default anyway.
>
> Now if you didn't type this "iso latin 1" anywhere but Lynx is somehow
> generating it, then it is definitely a bug.

I never typed it in by hand.  However, it may have been an old bug.

Thanks for mentioning these.  I will try to clean up some of the mailcap
comment items.
;