lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 20:49:50 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>       Since you refer to 3 keypad modes, I presume you are refering (sp?)
> to the code with your own mods, which does not hide "hidden" links....

I'm using the latest devel code, which doesn't pick up your mod to
remove links with no highlightable text.  I reiterate that I think
this is a bad idea, because
(1) you don't know in HText_endAnchor() whether the link was made invisible
    intentionally, or whether it was the result of parser error recovery, and
(2) the links are invisible if keypad_mode is NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS.  They only
    appear if links are numbered.  Link numbering gives a way of
    seeing/activating them in the context they are in in the original document,
    without using the LIST command, which only shows the URL and no context
    info.
I hope this particular mod is not picked up in the devel code.

> ...Since
> they have no link name, if they're included in the 'l'ist menu their
> addresses (URL, plus fragment if present) are used as the link name.  What
> follows the bullet is a space.  The address has no spaces in it, so if it
> would extend past the right margin, the wrap is triggered at the only space
> on that first LI line, i.e., the one after the bullet.  Once that occurs,
> there technically are no spaces (just the second-or-greater-line left
> indentation), so you'll then get an arbitrary wrap at the right margin
> within the address.  You could try replacing the space following the bullet
> with an nbsp (in the code under case HTML_LI: in HTML_start_element() of
> HTML.c, but that's very hairy code, so you should exercise such a mod for a
> variety of list markup to be sure you didn't break something inadvertantly.

So the line breaks because the URL is too long for the line, but after the
break, the start pos on the next line is the same as it was on the line with
the bullet.  So it still wraps.
Which means it has nothing to do with whether the link was invisible...
(Apparently it was a coincidence that the visible links all had long urls on
the microsoft page and all the invisible links did not...  But looking at it
again, there is ONE visible link with a short URL that doesn't break the line.)

Anyway, I have no plans to modify this code in HTML.c...

>       Thank you for sharing you mere guess (which is wrong) about what
> the fotemods code does, and how your guess sounds to you...

I haven't used your mods lately, as the devel code has had a combination of
features that better match my needs (except for a few parsing problems)
-- and Klaus seems to pick up most the features I want from your code.
If I have time (and disk space), I may try your code again.
(It would be easier to track your code if you supplied context diffs.)
--le

;
;