lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 18:03:40 +0200

Dan Strychalski wrote:
> Gentle People:
>
> Know ye by these presents that the problem appears to be caused by none
> other than the value FFh, at least in Lynx 2.5 on Linux 2.1.3 with NCSA
> Telnet (on Ethernet). I have previously noticed that whatever character
> is assigned to this value in the code page I am running is always doubled
> in the Lynx display, and I now find that this value makes for oddities in
> JOE as well -- so let us not blame Lynx out of hand.

This surely must be connected to the misteries of telnet protocol, which are
explained to the initiated in some RFC; my religion forbids me to tell the
number, sorry.

Now, FF is control character in telnet protocol and it initiates all control
sequences. If you want to transmit character with code FF, that goes as
FF FF. This encoding should be used only between telnet server and telnet
client and all applications should receive single FF from them.
How and why the behaviour you described happens is beyond me.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
;