lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:43:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Charles Oliver wrote:

> Downloaded and installed lynx on my NT machine.  It's great; thanks so
> much.

Glad to hear it is working on NT.  It would be nice it people mentioned
the version since there seems to be many.

> A friend of mine has 3.11 and installed it.  She gets the "no packet driver"
> message.  Does this have something to do with making lynx aware of where
> winsock is, or what?

This means she does have the DOS version which is her only choice since I
only supported 32 bit windows.  However, the DOS version requires a
standard packet driver instead of the winsock interface--it has its own
tcp stack.

I use NDIS3PKT and a second ip # in Win95.  Many people use klos ppp
drivers for modem use while others use standard network packet drivers
like the Clarkston ones.  If she is using a network and not a modem then
she has a shot at getting packet drivers and getting configured to work in
or out of windows but I really don't know all the steps.  Programming for
a packet driver leaves the possibilities so wide open that no one person
will have tried them all.

There is a little more info on getting DOS working at
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/ but if she is enamored to Windows 3.x then
there will be problems.

Good Luck!

> I'm trying to help her from several hundred miles away, and not having
> much luck.  I have forgotten most of what I knew about 3.11.

(Tell her to get 95!  ;-)

Wayne

;
;