lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Some suggestions for Lynx for DOS

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Some suggestions for Lynx for DOS
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:07:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Michael Lang wrote:

> It's great, that Lynx is now available for DOS. I don't like the Klos
> PPP driver much...

> I think, it would be fine, if lynx could work with Uka_PPP.
> Lynx for DOS doesn't seem to be able to work with these drivers, at
> least not with the PPP drivers.

I had not heard of any problems.  I don't do PPP via my workstation -- it
doesn't even have a modem -- so I am only familiar with normal packet
drivers.  I do use a weird on though (NDIS3PKT for Win95) so I can't
immagine Lynx386 not working with a well made driver.

> I'd like to be able, to run Lynx for viewing local files without
> having to load a paket driver. It's not difficult to load a driver.

Right, and that is the rational for not wasting the time to fix it.  The
source is available for all, however, so anyone is free to modify this
behavior and send the patches back for inclusion.  We actually do need a
good djgpp person to hop on and help -- I have just been winging it up
till now and seem to have hit my limit on fixing the broken stuff.

> But why do I have to do it under DOS? Under Linux, Lynx works without it.

Linux has built in networking.  I don't think you can compile and run lynx
unless you at least have localhost support compiled in but I may be wrong.

Wayne

;
;