lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Sending active link/page URL to print/download ?

From: JOHNLIM
Subject: LYNX-DEV Sending active link/page URL to print/download ?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 97 14:22:00 +0800

Hi !

I was wondering if Lynx has the ability to send the currently active link
and/or currently loaded page URL to a command/file, similar to the way
prints/downloads are handled ?

What I'm trying to do is this - let's say while browsing I want to save
a link on the current page. Rather than 'd'ownloading it and waiting for
it to finish, I usually shell out and use webget (a nifty Perl script)
manually.

I was wondering if Lynx could forward URLs to a program (webget in this
case) so I could stuff it in the background and continue browsing with
Lynx ?

I tried a kludge which didn't work - since I had multibookmarks on, I
tried creating a dummy bookmark which had pipes in the filename. I suppose
Lynx uses internal file handling, so I get a file in my directory with the
pipes in the filename instead...

I was trying to do something like this :

 | webget -q -nab `tail -1 | perl -e
  '$input = <STDIN>; $input =~ s/.+<a href="(.+)">.*/$1/g; print $input;'`

(which would theoretically, if it did work, create a new bookmark file to
the pipe which would take the last line of the pseudo-bookmark file and
stuff it through Perl to strip the tags and print out the URL as a
parameter to webget)

If that cannot be done, my current workaround (concept in my head, have
yet to try/execute it) is to view the page info via '=' and 'p'rint it
to the pipe (which would add a few more keystrokes though :(

PS - I'm no Perl/script guru, so the above even if it did work, it might
not be the best way to do it etc.

TIA.

---
 John Lim Eng Hooi * Email address@hidden
 CoSysOp, Cyber City BBS +603-7587400 * Cyber HQ [http://www.cyberhq.net.my]
 Associate Editor-In-Chief, DJnet * DJnet [http://www.cyberhq.net.my/djnet]
 [ Real Trekkers work out at the He's Dead Gym. ]

;
;