lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Wayne's Lynx ports and CP850 fullscreen/window?

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Wayne's Lynx ports and CP850 fullscreen/window?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:06:07 -0500 (EST)

I found a method for changing code pages in Win95's dos window
mode to run the 850 font, but there are some "issues."

The first issue is you need to run changecp off the Win95 CD, reskit or
the extras download from M$.  This allows you to select from a list of
different font types including 850.  The second issue, IT DOESN'T WORK
WITH MY FAVORITE FONT SIZE!  I spent a little extra time on this because
it doesn't work on my system in 8x12 mode.  This definately ticks me off.
The final issue, it will screw with your terminal font.  This also ticks
me off.  Now my very nice telnet program font is all screwed up. *double
sigh*

Basically, it works fine, but it seemed to mess up on every favorite font
setting I had.  I just love Microsoft to death!  Also, check out these
lovely warnings:

               *****            WARNING!!!            *****
* Changing the MS-DOS code page of Windows 95 on a regular basis can lead to
* file name corruption and disk errors if using disk compression.

IMPORTANT: The CHANGECP utility is not designed to be used for changing
code pages on a regular basis. Also, frequently switching the MS-DOS code
page will confuse users of MS-DOS-based applications.

Thanks to Alan for digging up the reference on the changecp program.  *NO*
thanks to M$ for not giving Win95 a way to change fonts on the fly for the
DOS window.

Wayne

;
;