lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV problem on a form submission

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV problem on a form submission
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 21:46:23 -0500 (EST)

I've been having a poblem with a web page that I thought I'd mention in case
it's a problem that should be fixed before Saturday.
It's another case where lynx complains about bad html, then doesn't submit
a form correctly.  When I submit the form, I get an error page
that says "Can't Open!".

I downloaded the html for the order page and ran trace on it and
noticed that there were 2 identical <FORM specs near the top
of the page.  It looked like a duplicate was generated accidently.
I removed the second one and lynx stopped
complaining about the html.  Unfortunately, unlike the problem with qvc,
I was unable to complete the order from my local (fixed) copy of the
page, because of the way their order pages are set up.  I think the whole
order sequence has to be done on their machine so all the temp files are
in the right place.

I exchanged mail with their webmaster.  She said Netscape and some
other  browser worked fine on their pages, but was accomodating nonethheless.
I asked if she would consider fixing the html problem on the one page so I could
be sure there wasn't a problem with lynx before the release date this saturday.
I still haven't heard a reply.

The URL is http://Willow.Internet-Connections.net/web/knuj/
(gift shopping online!)

Question: Could the extra FORM be causing the problem?
Aren't nested FORMs illegal?  Shouldn't lynx be able to do something
intelligent with bad FORM specs? (since Netscape apparently does)

Hope this is useful.
Thanks!
--le
;