lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx rules !

From: JOHNLIM
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx rules !
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 96 15:49:00 +0800

Hi fellow Lynx users/developers/contributors etc,

Actually this might be an off-topic message but just a snippet of news I'd
like to share.

One local computer newspaper in Malaysia jointly organized a contest with
Motorola and I sent in an entry. I wrote about Lynx and guess what ? I
actually won a prize ! :)

For those of you who want to read it, here's the contest ad, quoted
verbatim :

"HOW TO GET YOUR PC A LIFE CONTEST

Dear cybernauts and cybernaut wanna-bes,

Here's your chance to give your PC a life ! Win a great Motorola modem now
to increase your surfing efficiency on-line, among other things, of course.
You have been reading about "How to Create a Home Page" on this column of
address@hidden and there are more tips yet to come over the next several weeks,
but, we also want ot hear from you and in doing so, you might be one of the
six lucky winners to receive either the top three Montana PCMCIA card
valued at RM1,200 or the three runner-up prizes of ModemSURF modems
(Motorola's latest in desktop modem technology) valued at more than RM850
each.

All you have to do is write in to [postal address cut out] or e-mail it to
The Computimes Editor, address@hidden, [I bet you can guess which method
I chose] recounting your experience in surfing and getting information from
the various Web sites on the Internet. The best letters will highlight how
a problem was creatively overcome while surfing for information on the Net.
All letters must not exceed 500 words and must reach us before Nov 15,
1996. Please include your full name, IC number, address and contact number
in your entry. Judges' decision will be final and the names of the six best
letter winners will be announced in Computimes on Nov 28, 1996."

Unquote.

Based on the above, the below was my entry I sent in :

Computimes How To Get Your PC a Life Contest
HEY YOU ! Yeah, you over there, readin' this piece of information.
Information. Information Technology. The Internet. You must've been
living on another planet if you haven't heard of these buzzwords.

You've got a PC ? Fine. So do I. You have what, did I hear, a Pentium
Pro 200 with 64M of RAM ? Big deal. I have an i486SX-25 with only 8M of
RAM. Obsolete, maybe, but my PC still works. It has a life. I'm
_CONNECTED_. I have a _modem_. Your PC is peanuts compared to mine when
it comes to culling information from all over the world.

Why, you ask ? Let me enlighten you.

If you _really_ haven't heard of the Internet, I'll summarize it for you.
It is a network of networks all over the world. Once online, you can do
all sorts of stuff, from touring the world to sending e-mail to learning
a new language (Klingon, anyone ?).

Sounds cool ? It is. Get a modem, an Internet account, the software,
then get it all working together. Help is available if you need it.

When online, people use a browser to surf. Surfing usually means
accessing WWW (World Wide Web) pages. Two popular browsers are Netscape
and IExplorer. They're loaded with all the latest whizbangs and gizmos.
They're great browsers and they have their own followings, however, my
personal favourite is a free text-mode browser called Lynx. Yup, you read
that right. Text-mode.

See, with stuff like ActiveX, Java, Shockwave and whatnots, it takes time
(ages actually) to load a web-page. They even invented a cliche for
it - the (W)orld (W)ide (W)ait. I got sick and tired of waiting, so off
I went searching high and low. Lo and behold, I found Lynx.

Sure, pictures and moving text are nice, but the main thing
I want from the 'Net is *information*. The rest are usually
fancy frills, that's it. Most people who obtain Internet access
soon find out that waiting for pictures to travel across the Atlantic
ain't exactly fun. You can always turn pictures off in other browsers,
but then again you might as well run in text mode.

Lynx supports almost anything you can throw at it. It's fast, since
I don't need to load the frills. It gets me what I want. If I do need
pictures, there's an option for Lynx to download it (so I can view it
later on). Transferring files via FTP ? News-reading ? Lynx has it all.

Lynx currently runs on various Unixes. A variant of it called DOSLynx
for DOS works, but it's mediocre. However, all is not lost -- it might be
ported over to DOS and Windows soon, so stay tuned.

There you have it. That's how I overcame my problem surfing the
(W)orld (W)ide (W)ait. Some may say I'm going overboard. Fine, but
it suits me well. One man's meat is another's poison I guess.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. _My_ PC has a life. Does _yours_ ?

497 words

Footnote :
For more information on Lynx, visit The Lynx Enhanced Pages at
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx.html

Yup, I do know that Subir's pages have moved but at that time he didn't
move it to crl.com yet :)

Well, thanks for your time, and fellow Lynx-ers, keep up the good work !

---
 John Lim Eng Hooi [CoSysOp, Cyber City BBS +603-7587400] * Lynx rules !
 Email address@hidden Web [http://www.cyberhq.net.my/johnlim]
 [ I use Windows...on my car, on my house, on my... ]

;
;