lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:37:35 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, David Combs wrote:

> So far, I've never run into the problem -- but my bookmarks
> file is growing, and I'd imagine the same limit applies
> to that as to any other page.  Suggestions:

Again, it doesn't matter how many TOTAL links a file has, but how many
links appear on one screenful of information... So, since the bookmarks
file has one link per line, you'd have to have an AWFULLY big screen
and/or an AWFULLY small font to get 256 links on screen at once. :)

>    Until dynamic code is found/upgraded/installed, raise
>    the default to 1000 (it is "just" an array of pointers,
>    I'd imagine -- but don't know.  If an array of huge
>    structs, pre-allocated, than that's something else!).

Yes, it is an array of structures (HText?) that contains the URL of the
link, the link text and some other info.

>    Most importantly (assuming it is not doing this already!),
>    add a "shout out" to Fote's "fix" via ignoring, so at least
>    the user knows what's happening to "this" page, effectively
>    being truncated.  Maybe display a page that says what's
>    happening, with either it timing out after 5 seconds, or
>    the user having to manually return to the too-big page.

At first I didn't think this would be too difficult, but now that I think
of it, since it is on a screen by screen basis, it might be more
difficult.  I'm not sure how lynx handles the info not being displayed
(most of my knowledge of how lynx works comes more from listening to
Fote and others explain the internal workings than actually poking around
myself... :( ), but such a message would have to be displayed every time
you paged to a new screen with too many links.

Ok, I just checked out a theory and it proved to be correct.  Lynx renders
them dynamically as I suspected, so the links which are unselectable can
still be used after using 2 lines up or down (^P and ^N) or half screen up
and down ('(' and ')') to cause the pages to break somewhere else...