lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Crawl for ALT text

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Crawl for ALT text
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 23:22:44 -0500 (EST)

            Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines in HTML source, images without ALT

       * From: Hynek Med <address@hidden>

  > > [13]http://pes.eunet.cz/udalosti.htm -> [udalosti]
  > > [14]http://something.com/html/blah   -> [blah]
  > >
  > > It's surely more informative than [LINK]..
  >
  > An interesting idea.  I don't know how much overhead it would add to the
  > code... It doesn't bother me that much since I run mine in advanced mode
  > now and see the URL...

  Me too, but some URLs are very long so you can't see the ending and some
  users are not advanced.. Of course, the proper solution is to make nice
  descriptive ALTs..

The ultimate solution, of course, is to HEAD the URLs to see which
are text/html and GET those to find their <TITLE> strings.

This is a lot of communication to create a literate page out of a
GIF spaghetti plate.  But lately I have been thinking that the wait
would be worth it for the speech user, at least.

And it's tempting to think that all that -crawl code already exists...

Al Gilman
;
;