lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses

From: Rob Partington - Admin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:57:36 +0100 (BST)

Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Rob Partington - Admin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >My code doesn't add color support for ncurses the same as the vanilla
> >slang version does - it provides for color styles (IMO more powerful than
> >the vanilla slang version).  The vanilla slang color support is trickery -
> >underline is mapped to color 1, bold to color 2, underline+bold to 3 etc.
>
>       I presume the colorization and styling will work the same
> when the RP code is compiled and linked with either ncurses or slang,
> not the nicer, new way with ncurses, and the not as nice, old way
> with slang.  Is that right?

In theory.  :-)  For some reason, linux-ncurses-color comes out with lightgray
as the default text, while linux-slang-color comes out with bright white.

> >I think slang is heavily optimised for VTxxx/PC type terminals - I've
> >certainly written programs which are much faster at screen updates using
> >slang than using ncurses.  But that's under Linux - under something more
> >esoteric(!) it may be the other way around.
>
>       Is that true with the FANCY_CURSES Unix curses libraries
> such as ncurses?  There's no performance difference with the VMS

Well, it was slang versus ncurses-of-about-a-year-ago (1.8?), but there was
a very noticeable difference on linux console.

(It was a processor simulator; plain termcap was fastest, slang next, plain
curses, then ncurses.  Plain termcap had hardcoded colour strings, while
plain curses didn't have any colour)
--
Rob Partington / Netlink Sysadmin / address@hidden / 25y049d
Visit Mullet Watch International: http://www.mullet.org.uk/