lwip-users

[lwip-users] Random in LWIP assert and memory corruption

From: PETRAROLI Romano
Subject: [lwip-users] Random in LWIP assert and memory corruption
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 16:51:57 +0000

Hello,

I am using LWIP V1.3.1 on a LPC18xx chip (CM3) running with FreeRTOS V5.10.

I have  random crash visibly linked to lwip memory corruption.

It the board crash faster under heavy ethernet traffic, but can happens at any time.

The debugging log linked to those crash can vary between configurations.

default:

      LWIP_DEBUGF(TCPIP_DEBUG, ("tcpip_thread: invalid message: %d\n", msg->type));

      LWIP_ASSERT("tcpip_thread: invalid message", 0);

break;

LWIP_ERROR("pbuf_copy_partial: invalid buf", (buf != NULL), return 0;);

It seems like a memory corruption is occuring there, without understanding where it could come from.

I tried to increase the number of descriptor LPC_NUM_BUFF_RXDESCS to 32.

Depending on configuration I have 1 or 2 IRQ enabled : ETH (always) and Timer1 (depending), with a priority of 3 and 4 respectively.

In both cases the crash can occurs.

I have other platform running with similar LWIP configuration (but more IRQ, Task, different memory size and different total of lwip buffer) that don’t have any problems.

I don’t know why this particular soft is crashing.

Could it be due to LWIP or Freertos misconfiguration ?