lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Is netconn/socket fullduplex still "really alpha"?

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Is netconn/socket fullduplex still "really alpha"?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 19:19:36 +0100

On 16.11.2021 18:47, Grant Edwards wrote:
I've been reading up on netconn/sockets and thread-safety. At
https://www.nongnu.org/lwip/2_1_x/group__lwip__opts__netconn.html
it says this about the "fullduplex" option:

         "ATTENTION: This is currently really alpha!"

Is that accurate?

No, that comment is outdated and should be deleted by now.

That presumably applies to the socket api also?

Yes, of course. The socket implementation fully relies on netconn API,
so it would apply there too.

One of the main industrial protocol stacks we want to run requires
thread-safe socket operations (read from one thread, write from
another), so lwIP stable may not be usable for that product. [I don't
know if "close from a third" is required or not.]

You should be safe to do that with lwIP by now.

Regards,
Simon