lwip-users

[lwip-users] LwIP IPv6 with PPP over Serial

From: Zayzay, Edman G
Subject: [lwip-users] LwIP IPv6 with PPP over Serial
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 01:13:02 +0000

Hello,

I am running into some issue here determining the network prefix. I have an LTE modem ( QBG95-M3 ) that I am using to with LwiP PPPoS with IPv6. I have been able to successfully establish connection with the network and I see that the network is sending the interface ID portion of the IPv6 upon successful PPP negotiation.

Here are the final addresses I am seeing  LWIP printing:

local  LL address fe80::EDDB:A3CC:28BF:9748

remote LL address fe80::9038:08DC:AEBE:C18E

LwIP is taking the interface ID received and prepending FE80 thereby creating the link-local address on the interface. My problem here is that I will like to see the full global unicast 128-bit (NETWORK PORTION + INTERFACE ID)  address on the interface also. Somehow, I can’t seem to find the network prefix. Do I have to send a router solicitation to get the prefix and build the full 128-bit global unicast address and add it to the interface?

If I do have to send a router solicitation, how do I go about doing so with Lwip? I did try calling nd6_tmr() but nothing seems to be happening. I cannot call nd6_send_rs() directly since it is not exposed. Any help will be highly appreciated.

I did the same PPP negotiation with this modem on a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu and got both addresses ( LL address and  global unicast address) on the interface.

Best regards,

~Edman

Edman G. H Zayzay

Principal Embedded Software Engineer