lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] bind with link down

From: Massimiliano Cialdi
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] bind with link down
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 12:46:00 +0200

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:28 AM Sylvain Rochet <address@hidden> wrote:
> netif_set_up() and netif_set_down() is a software switch telling the
> lwIP stack if you want the interface to be active or silent. If you
> don't need to disable an interface at runtime (with only one interface,
> you never need that!), you only have to call netif_set_up() once at
> init.
>
> netif_set_link_up() and netif_set_link_down() may be called when cable
> is plugged or unplugged. Calling netif_set_link_down() then
> netif_set_link_up() is optional and only meant to speed up DHCP recover,
> IPv6 discovery, or such. If you don't care about speeding up things on
> cable connection you only have to call netif_set_link_up() once at init.
I confess my lack of knowledge on these matters.
I didn't know that if I have just one interface, I never need to put it down.
And I wouldn't know after which events to put the interfaces up/down
in case I had more than one.
And, if I understand correctly, when the ip is static I don't even
need to set the link down when cable is unconnected.
Where could I find documents or books to increase my know-how on these topics?

best regards
Max

--
Et nunc, auxilium solis, vincam!