lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Do not fragment (DF) in a UDP transmission.

From: Roger Cover
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Do not fragment (DF) in a UDP transmission.
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 17:08:21 +0000

Greetings Simon,

The Linux man pages mention the IP_PMTUDISC_DO flag that "forces the
don't-fragment flag to be set on all outgoing packets" in the setsockopt()
description.

The documentation for setsockopt() for BSD 4.3 lists the similar flag
"IP_DONTFRAG", with the qualifier "This option is supported for sockets with an
address family of AF_INET and type of SOCK_DGRAM or SOCK_RAW only."

The Microsoft documentation at:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winsock/ipproto-ip-socket-options
 lists an option called IP_DONTFRAGMENT, about which they state "Microsoft
TCP/IP providers respect this option for UDP and ICMP."

There is also a reference for the .NET framework at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.sockets.socket.dontfragment?view=netframework-4.8
 if you have any interest in that.

There is also a comment I do not completely understand in the lwIP ip.c file
(line 790 in the ip_output_if() function, version 1.4.1) that states "don't
fragment if interface has mtu set to 0."

I am not very familiar with sockets programming. I did some 20 years ago, but I
am sure it has changed since then. I have been using the lwIP callback API in
all my products for the last 14 years. Since I am using the callback API, I
will need something that works through that API. I hope this information is
sufficient. I am very willing to patch my system and do testing for you. I just
need some guidance about where to make the changes. I have been using lwIP for
some time, but I have not paid that much attention to its interior. It has
always just worked for me, straight out of the box.

Regards,
Roger W. Cover