lwip-users

[lwip-users] LWIP not ACKing data in retransmissions

From: Fabian Koch
Subject: [lwip-users] LWIP not ACKing data in retransmissions
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:59:19 +0000

Hey all,

we have a weird behavior of one of our devices and I wonder if anyone could provide any pointers as to what is going on.

(pcap attached)

Scenario:

  • Our device is 172.22.66.200 in this capture
  • Other device is 172.22.67.200
  • Pcap contains only one TCP stream between the two
  • We are using the socket API on top of LWIP 1.4.1

Good behavior:

  • In #9, the peer sends a retransmission because our device didn’t answer for 240ms
  • In #10, we ACK that retransmission with no payload and everything looks fine

Weird behavior:

  • In #92 there is another retransmission by the peer after 527ms and we even take another 478ms to answer
  • #93 ACKs the retransmission but does not increase the ACK number to include the payload of the retransmission
  • So that retransmission is sent again and again (exponential back-off) but the payload is never ACKed
  • Meanwhile our device happily sends payloads and the gateway ACKs them

What is happening here?

Kind regards

Fabian