lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DNS look-up with domain search

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DNS look-up with domain search
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 20:11:24 +0100

On 12.11.2018 00:26, Craig McQueen wrote:
I'm interested in doing DNS look-ups that possibly include a domain search list.

I'm interested in that, too, but haven't found the time yet. There's task #14129 ("DNS: implement domain search list (e.g. filled via DHCP)") to remind us...

I'm successfully using LWIP_HOOK_DHCP_APPEND_OPTIONS() and
LWIP_HOOK_DHCP_PARSE_OPTION() to get a domain from DHCP via DHCP option 15.

Now I'm interested in possibly using that as a search domain. So if doing a look-up for "server", and DHCP option 15
specifies domain "example.com", then DNS could do a search for "server.example.com". But not if the original
look-up name includes a trailing dot. If the original name includes a trailing dot, e.g. "server.com.", then it
wouldn't try "server.com.example.com".

Note that the current functions in dns.c will fail a DNS look-up given a string
that ends with a trailing dot. Technically is this correct or incorrect? See
the following which discusses trailing dots in domain names:
http://www.dns-sd.org/trailingdotsindomainnames.html

Looks like we are missing this dot at the end. Noone has complained until now, but when implementing search lists, we probably should care for the dot at the end...

Simon