lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP end of lease time

From: Frédéric Grandjean
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP end of lease time
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 05:19:54 +0000

Hi,
I have been using an old Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT as a router with DHCP
server and a very short DHCP lease time (a few minutes!), for testing of course.
Between 2 DHCP leases, I change the base address of the DHCP server.
In these conditions, the client IP is changing. Might not be like this in real
world, but I need to have an extremely reliable application!

I have implemented a small discovery protocol, by the way. It works in UDP, is
bind to any IP address and "simply" answer with an identification string.
As I said, this seems to "resist" to a change of IP by DHCP end of lease time.

For the open connections (TCP) , sure they will be broken. But this is fine, as
long as the server (the TCP PCB listener) answers to the new request at the new
address.

Finally, I cannot change the application to work with fixed IP address; our
device might installed at any place, by any kind of user, without any IT
knowledge; it has to be plug and play!

Thank you

Frédéric