lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] strange TCP behavior, connection stalls

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] strange TCP behavior, connection stalls
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:10:32 -0300

> * known-to-work application:
> esp-open-rtos comes with some examples, including a simple 'http_get'
[...]
> and now it exhibits the same behavior as my own application:

That's why I recommended using apps in the contrib tree, those are the only "known to work" apps for many lwIP users. Vendor provided apps sometimes are just demos, sometimes not.

> * API:
> My actual application uses the same functions from lwip as the simple > http_get example: socket(), connect(), lwip_read(), lwip_write() etc

OK, socket API, I can't help with that. You can wait to see if someone drops in or open a new thread with "socket" in the subject. Anyway, that is vendor example, not lwIP example, you should check thoroughly, sometimes vendor code is a demo, or a hack, or a great piece of code.

> I forgot to mention that esp-open-rtos is a port of FreeRTOS, so yes,
> indeed, an RTOS. No other tasks (threads) are created in the user
> application, but the SDK itself is creating one or more threads in
> the background for wifi, lwip, etc

The socket API allows some use of multithreading, but you can't call some lwIP functions from "main context" and also from interrupt context, those are not reentrant functions.
Can you guarantee that on your port ?

> You are suspecting a bad port or network driver. If that's the case,
> I should probably report a bug against esp-open-rtos. Is there a way
> I can test whether this is the case?

I always suspect that, because I did write a port and a driver and I know lwIP works ;^), all problems I've had were, well, my own. Most problems reported are either a bad driver, [vendor code] polling the controller and not extracting all frames, [vendor code] getting frames on interrupts and running lwIP on main context, and the like. Running an app from the contrib tree can tell you if port+driver run OK. If it works, there's a problem in your app. If it doesn't, then there's a problem in lwIP or port+driver; given that others have run lwIP OK in that scenario, it is quite likely the problem is not in lwIP. There can be mistakes, but I haven't seen something as flagrant as you mention.