lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] PPP [was: Netifs routing]

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] PPP [was: Netifs routing]
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 20:01:59 +0100

Hi Norberto,

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 03:28:32PM -0300, Norberto R. de Goes Jr. wrote:
> Hi, how are you?
>
> I would like to understand what can be happening in my setup (attached
> figure). I have 03 VM´s (all with SO-Linux), just one with echo-server
> application, the others with echo-client app.
>
> "VM-lwip":
>   -  eth0 and tty0 (pyshical netwoking and serial interfaces)
>   -  running a server-echo app (lwip user). This app creates two netifs:
>          >  netif-0:  connected to eth0 - ip: 10.0.2.180, mask:
>  255.255.255.0
>          >  netif-1:  connected to serial (PPP protocol) - ip: 10.0.3.183,
> mask:  255.255.255.0.
>   - Then it binds to "IP_ADDR_ANY" address to receive packages
> (netconn_recv).
>
> "VM-0":
>   - pyshical network interface (eth0) connected to same subnetwork of
> "VM-lwip".
>
> "VM-1":
>   - pyshical serial interface (PPP) connected to "VM-lwip"
>

> I do not use TUN/TAP and brigde. The "access" components shown in the
> attached figure can receive/transmit data from/to eth and serial. That
> works fine, no problem.
>
> When I run the echo-client from VM-0 sending packets to IP associated to
> netif-0, all works fine, no problem.
> But when I run the echo-client from VM-1(PPP stablished) sending packets to
> netif-1 IP adrress, the lwip processes the packages and put the reply
> packages to netif-0.
>
> I have been investigating  and I think that the problem is associated to
> PPP netif netmask (ever 255.255.255.255). Please, see the "get_mask"
> function  and "netif_add" call both codes in the "lwip/src/netif/ppp/ppp.c"
> file.
> Thus, the "ip4_route" function does not match the appropriate netif, in
> this case the netif-1, and returns the default-netif (netif-0, associated
> to eth0). Then the outgoing packets are forwarding to eth and not to
> serial. When the client-echo is run in VM#0 the all works fine because the
> match happens.
>
> Please, is it correct?

PPP links are point-to-point, as such there is no such concept of
netmask because there is only one possible endpoint.

Actually both endpoints can be on 2 totally different IP "class" (it
hurts writing this), for IP6CP you don't even have the choice because
random local link addresses are used.

What used to be implemented on some host is a forward if an interface
available in the system matches the local PPP interface IP, i.e. an
other interface with a 192.168.10.0/24 subnet would automatically
forward if the PPP interface local address matches this subnet, but this
doesn't change at all that the PPP interface is netmaskless ! This is
what you are seeing in the get_mask() function. This is an ugly hack and
I'm not sure it is still working today, and that's only working for the
client side, it was used to provide multiple IP to a customer without
having to provide a loop network.

It only works if the routing table selection is clever enough to select
the netmaskful interface between one point to point interface
(netmaskless) and one netmaskful interface if both interfaces are
sharing the same subnet, this is dirty, stupid, and complete nonsense,
especially in a -lightweight- stack.

There is a IPCP mask request defined in the specs but pppd never
supported it, it is meant to negotiate a pool of address to your peer,
but your peer must be able to add a routing table entry, and there is
still the shared subnet problem after all.

What you need here is a routing table, see LWIP_HOOK_IP4_ROUTE.

If you need dynamic IP routing, feel free to add OSPF support to lwIP ;-)
(that's a joke, it's a HUUUUUGE task and no one would ever need OSPF
in lwIP :p)

Sylvain