lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] memory pools question

From: jblackarty
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] memory pools question
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:27:16 +0700

> I don't think I have thought that through fully, but mboxes are
> only created in 5 different sizes (at maximum), so it shouldn't be
> too hard to switch over mbox size to know the pool to allocate from?

No! In general case, sizes are NOT different. At compile-time macro
expansions define each size, but at run-time sys_mbox_new() cannot match given
numeric value to one of macros if their values are equal. That's the
problem ! I suggest define enumeration of mbox types and change
interface of sys_mbox_new() to pass that type instead size. This
solution will be more flexible in order to enable engineers make ports
with efficient memory usage. Of course, if not to mention memory
waste, then I can allocate all mboxes having size of the biggest one and
place them in one common pool and do not worry about nothing.

Moreover, I found that default values for all mboxes sizes are zero in
opt.h. Does it mean that user must define them in lwipopts.h ? But user
generally don't know workflows in lwip such precisely in order to
determine optimal values.