lwip-users

[lwip-users] SSL / HTTPS above lwIP

From: Walter Saegesser
Subject: [lwip-users] SSL / HTTPS above lwIP
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:55:52 +0100

I have been working with lwIP for a few months now and it really works fine.

Now I got the job to implement an HTTPS client, sending data to a server on the internet periodically. As far as I understand this is not a matter of the underlying TCP/IP stack. A SSL stack as well as an HTTP client reside in the application layer, don’t they? So there’s no need to switch to another TCP/IP stack, e.g. commercial Interniche? Or am I wrong here?

Would there be a need to change the configuration of lwIP? Sorry, these may all be silly questions, but I simply don’t know.

The other question is what SSL stack to use. There are open source solutions as CyaSSL or OpenSSL. (CyaSSL is claimed to be faster and up to 20 times smaller than OpenSSL). And there are commercial stacks like NicheStack SSL from Interniche or MatrixSSL from PeerSec.

If anyone has experience with this subject, any advice – DOs and DON’Ts – would be appreciated a lot. Thanks in advance.

Walter

Walter Saegesser
Dipl.-Ing. (FH)

R&D - Software
Business Unit IMS – Line of Business Solar Inverter
Delta Renewable Energy Systems (Switzerland) AG
Burgerfeldstrasse 19, CH-8730 Uznach SG, Switzerland
TEL:       +41 (0)55 246-4140
FAX:      +41 (0)55 246-4116
address@hidden
www.deltaenergysystems.com

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
[Delta Energy Systems]