lwip-users

[lwip-users] Initialization with raw api

From: Stephen Cleary
Subject: [lwip-users] Initialization with raw api
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:26:37 +0000

I’m planning to use the raw api to develop a new communications scheme. Our current scheme (using netconn) will still need to be supported, at least for a while.

The rawapi.txt docs are straightforward except for how the initialization is done, e.g. where I make the first call to tcp_new. The docs make it clear that they should be run in the tcpip_thread context, but I’m not clear on the best way to do that.

My current code base is very close to the lwip_Demo_Rowley_ARM7 demo in the FreeRTOS distribution:

  ethernetif_init calls low_level_init

  low_level_init starts a task that handles the EMAC communication (the task just runs ethernetif_input)

Our main task initializes lwIP with a single call to tcpip_init(NULL, NULL).

My guess is that the raw initialization (tcp_new, etc) should go into the tcpip_init callback, correct? (Another possibility would be ethernetif_init (which is run, I assume, in the context of tcpip_thread), but it seems wrong to put raw api calls in that function.)

I’m pretty sure that’s right, but I can’t find any documentation stating that, nor any samples taking that approach. The only raw api sample code I can find doesn’t have a separate EMAC task at all.

Thanks,

       -Steve