lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users]Hostname for DHCP - where is it specified?

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users]Hostname for DHCP - where is it specified?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:41:32 +0100

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 14:32 +0000, Bob Brusa wrote:
> Fine, adding netbios helped. Now I can get into contact with my
> board,
> running a corresponding program on my PC that uses the NETBIOSNAME
> connect. However, Zyxel still does not know the name of my board -
> which
> obiously allows my Win-XP program to connect with my board. Has
> anybody a
> hint what is missing?

If you want a more general solution than netbios naming you need to
update your DNS server with the IP address and name that have been given
to your board.  DHCP doesn't do this - it is just responsible for giving
the IP address to the board, not for updating the DNS server.

Are you giving out static IP addresses?  If so, you can just put a
static entry in the DNS.  If you're using dynamic IP assignment you will
need to run some sort of agent on the board that will publish its IP
address and the name it wants to the DNS server.  I don't know of
anything that has been ported directly to lwIP to do this but there are
lots of third-party tools for operating systems like Linux that you
might be able to use.

Kieran