lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP: IF not connected on power up

From: Bernhard 'Gustl' Bauer
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP: IF not connected on power up
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:02:34 +0200

Simon Goldschmidt schrieb:
"Bernhard \'Gustl\' Bauer" wrote:
Maybe I'm not patient enough. What is the longest time from
plugging the cable to getting an IP?

Was that really what you wanted to do? DHCP increases its retry
timeout for every retry, so when you just start DHCP and plug the
cable after some minutes, the retry timeout will already be quite
high and thus it might take a long time until DHCP retries to find a
server.

Ahhh! One time I had this 'failure' LWIP had run for hours before I plugged in!

Instead, you should monitor your PHY and when it detects a link, call
dhcp_start (or dhcp_reboot?). This ensures that the time from
plugging the cable to getting an IP address is (nearly) constant.

I will do so. Is there already a structure in LWIP to show a linked PHY or do you plan to add one. I'd like to be compatible.

Gustl