lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Re: Network name of device

From: mat henshall
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Re: Network name of device
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:14:10 -0800

Kieran,

I have put up some tasks - not sure if this is correct as they tend to build on one another... but it is a place to start.

I am working on  the first one - modifying dns.c to support resolution of .local host names to one shot multicast dns requests...

When I have something ready for other people to try I get back to the list?

Mat

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 13:31 -0800, mat henshall wrote:
> By creating a set of options to provide varying levels of
> functionality and building on top of the existing LWIP services a very
> light weight tunable implementation could be made. For example, a
> minor change to  dns.c, would enable discovery of ".local" mdns hosts
> with very little impact.
>
> I am very interested in participating in any development of such an
> extension, but have not participated in an open source project before.
> Although a competent C programmer (20+ years), I have been working
> with LWIP a relatively short time. If anyone is interested in working
> with me on this, I would be happy to talk directly. In particular, I
> would appreciate connecting with anyone who has done a similar open
> source collaboration before and has experience with LWIP. Any
> suggestions on how best to organize and interact with the LWIP
> maintainers would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be happy to see this sort of functionality added to lwIP provided it
sticks to the lightweight principle that is lwIP's goal.

Perhaps a good start would be to file a task for this work on savannah
(or one task for each section if they are easily separable) and see
where it goes.

Lack of experience on open source projects is not a problem.  I ask that
developers first demonstrate some interest and competence by submitting
patches for new features or fixes, but any that have done so can be
granted CVS access to make their development process easier.

Thanks

Kieran