lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Network name of device

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Network name of device
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:23:19 -0500

>We have a limited implementation of zeroconf called "AutoIP" which
>generates MS-like IP addresses if no static IP is configured and no DHCP
>server is found (see LWIP_AUTOIP option).

AutoIp is Link-Local Addressing per RFC3927.  I am not sure it is fully
compliant and I am pretty sure its interaction with DHCP is *not* compliant.
I suppose a bug-report should be filed to verify why I think it isn't
compliant with DHCP and to resolve it if it isn't.

ZeroConf is a standard and well-defined. (Interestingly the IETF didn't see
it as very important and there is no RFC on it and a workgroup for it has
gone missing).  Most commercial devices do support it (like printers, etc.)
as does Windows, Linux, and Mac-OS.  It was the basis for Apple-Talk and
grew into Rendezvous and now Bonjour. Link-Local Addressing is one of three
components of ZeroConf. I wouldn't call AutoIP "limited zeroconf".  It's
Link Local addressing and well defined.  It might be nice to have Zeroconf
support since it makes listing and accessing devices easier while following
a standard.

Bill