lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP + LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME =1 for IP retrieving

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP + LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME =1 for IP retrieving
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:20:13 +0100

You seem to be needing a netbios name "server" for your device. Have a look at apps/netbios/netbios.c in the contrib module in CVS (or the download area), this should be exactly what you need. To set the name, you have to define NETBIOS_LWIP_NAME to something (either a constant string or a global variable holding the name).

Simon

Simon St-Pierre wrote:

Hello,

Using DHCP and LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME =1, I am able to see the name of my device in my router. (See attached snapshots) This is great but not of any use if I do not have access to the router of the company where my product will be installed.

I would like to be able to retrieve the IP address of my lwIP device from a computer on the same LAN network without the need of using any software, i.e. using a simple windows command line.

I don't care if it is one of those:

- ping myLWIPdevice

- nbtstat -c

or any other command.

Note: nslookup myLWIPdevice  command would NOT be really useful since not all companies have a DNS server on the network.

I read previous [lwip-user] threads on the subject but nothing answers clearly how to do it.

Can anyone guide my how to proceed to realize this; at least give me some guideline of what to implement on my device.

Thank you all,

Simon