lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Netbios General Questions

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Netbios General Questions
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:00:03 +0200

As I said in my previous post, the netbios code in the contrib module creates a udp pcb that hooks to the netbios port (don't know right now which one). Now if a netbios name resolution request is received (these requests are sent as broadcast) that matches the configured name, it responds with its IP address.

However, there are more netbios packets than name resolution and the netbios code in lwIP does not handle any other types. When lwIP does not respond although you initialized the netbios code correctly (init it *after* the complete stack has initialized and from the tcpip_thread if using multithreading), the packets either ask for another name or are meant for other things (like file sharing, etc.).

To check whether netbios works, you should define the name correctly (look at the define at the top of netbios.c) and execute a ping to that name from a windows PC (linux/unix only uses DNS for name resolving). You should then see netbios request/response packets in wireshark and ping request response should work.

Simon

Chris_S wrote:
The recent post about Netbios has prompted me to ask similar.
I know nothing about Netbios. Windows sends out those Yellow packets I see in Wireshark all the time, which lwIP seems to ignore. I realize they probably don't matter but they constantly fill up the screen. Annoying. I guess they are asking or trying to tell lwIP something. I tried hooking up the Netbios code that was in the contrib section, but I didn't see any effect. lwIP still did not respond to any of the Yellow packets that I could tell. I know I can remove the Windows LAN modules that are creating those, but just wondered if any code for lwIP is around that actually responds to them, and gets them to shut up! Thanks, Chris. ------------------------------------------------------------------------