lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] question about lwIP support WiFi

From: Mike Kleshov
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] question about lwIP support WiFi
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 16:52:00 +0400

> Is there any suggestion for how to integrated WiFi to lwIP?

Unless I am missing something, there is nothing to be done to
'integrated WiFi to lwIP'. Wireless or wired, it's still Ethernet, so
you have packets sent or received via a hardware interface. The point
where lwip meets WiFi is the interface driver, and lwip only provides
skeleton code for that with no adaptation to any particular hardware,
wired or wireless.
There is the issue of writing or obtaining a driver for any particular
WiFi hardware. Writing a device driver for a typical WiFi chipset from
scratch would be a monumental task...

> Is there any success story on this kind of architecture?

I used a MatchPort B/G module from Lantronix in wired-wireless
bridging mode to add WiFi functionality to an existing design. I
suppose, it counts as a success story. It required no modifications in
lwip.

Regards,
- mike