lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] TCP Disconnect Detection lwIP V1.2

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] TCP Disconnect Detection lwIP V1.2
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:28:29 -0400

Some suggestions:

1)      Use 2 connections (ports) – one for the real connection and one for the 15S ping.

2)      Use TCP_KEEPALIVEs, but you have to change the default TCP_KEEPALIVE time on the other end since the default is a long time and it won’t notice the lost connection.

3)      Use UDP and send a “ping” for checking the device.

I use the latter using a 5S sending period with a UDP broadcast and it works pretty well for the PC (Win32) app to see the lwIP devices come and go.  This ping also gives me the opportunity to send out the device’s IP address in the payload so that the PC can make a connection (TCP) once it sees the device.

Bill