lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Significant overhead periodically during TCP receive tr

From: bill
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Significant overhead periodically during TCP receive transfers
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:06:36 -0400

> Most systems send periodic ARP requests, whether there is constant
> traffic over an open socket or just periodic keep-alive exchanges. Don't
> ask me why, but I have seen it in Wireshark traces from various versions
> of MS-Windows, Linux and FreeBSD. The only question here is why does the
> sender drop those nine extents? That sounds like a bug in their TCP/IP
> stack.

You're right about this.  My only guess is WinXP will not transmit during
the ARP exchange but thinks it sent the packets and they're gone?  If
WireShark didn't drop the packets then clearly they were never sent.

Fortunately the ARP table can be set to static in Windows so while lwIP is
connected I now set the ARP entry for my device to static.

As seen in my bug submittal I don't think the error recovery makes sense and
we've observed crashes trying to recover.

Bill