lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] RE: DNS. Howto Discover DNS Server?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] RE: DNS. Howto Discover DNS Server?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:37:58 +0200

Nick Thomas wrote:

I now see the I can discover the DNS servers. There is some code in
dhcp_handle_ack() which gives me chance to save upto two DNS server IP
address returned.
Which might give me a DNS IP address of 62.31.144.39 (for example). But, my
local IP address is 192.168.0.7.
Now when it comes to use this DNS to resolve google.co.uk (for example) I
notice that the ip_route function cannot find a network interface because my
netmask is blocking access to the DNS server!
Outgoing IP traffic should be sent to the default gateway if it is for a different network (e.g. google.co.uk in your private network). Somehow this default routing didn't work for you. Did you set one netif as the default netif (using netif_set_default())? And if so, does this netif have a gateway set? (I don't really know how this is done with DHCP, but it should be handled there, I think.)

Simon