lwip-users

[lwip-users] Building automated test cases

From: Erik Ekman
Subject: [lwip-users] Building automated test cases
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:06:49 +0100

Hi

I am thinking about writing some unit tests for different parts of the
lwip stack. The test framework I am comfortable with is check (
http://check.sf.net ).

TCP and UDP are simple to test on their own since they dont call other
code, but for testing IP layer only one needs to build mock
implementations of tcp_input, udp_input and similar functions, as well
as a netif. So the IP layer has to be tested in its own binary, since
the input functions are not called via function pointers.

Tests would be like inputing a byte array to a module, and making sure
it returns a specific value or calls another function with the correct
input. Hopefully the tests would pass without changes on both 1.2.0
and 1.3.0, but some tweaks may be needed.

My focus would be running the tests on Linux, but there should be no
platform dependencies.

Maybe this can later be added to the source tree as well.

Does this seem like a good idea? Any comments?

/Erik