lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] MAC Question????

From: H. Peter Anvin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] MAC Question????
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:10:06 -0700

K.J. Mansley wrote:
On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 18:37, Kelly Chan wrote:
Hello,

We can use ARP to query MAC address for a particular IP? How about the
other way such that is there any protocol or broadcast messages we can
use to query IP address for a particular MAC address?

Yes.  Funnily enough it's called Reverse ARP (RARP):

http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=rarp&action=Search

Except RARP isn't really supported on most networks. It's really more of an early alternative to BOOTP (which then, in turn, got superceded by DHCP.)

For a MAC address for an already configured host on the local network, one can send a ICMP ECHO (ping) packet with the appropriate unicast MAC address and the broadcast IP address. You should get a response back, at which time you know the MAC.

        -hpa