lwip-users

Re: RE : RE : [lwip-users] Device name

From: Nicolas Pinault
Subject: Re: RE : RE : [lwip-users] Device name
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:50:16 +0200

So, implement your own NETBIOS stack is your only solution (if you don't want to have to
configure your "ping" hosts). But I'm not sure NETBIOS is supported on all
platform (for name resolutions). It's sure for Windows ones, Linux use it for Samba, but
I don't know if tools like ping do it.

I'm interrested in Windows and OS-X (NetBIOS is implemented on these OS).
"NETBIOS name service" is not very difficult to implement, but it will only work on a LAN
(and a VPN if you use some "master explorers" on), but not on a WAN. Take a look to
http://ubiqx.org/cifs/NetBIOS.html, it provide most of details.
I'm not interested in WAN. My system is on a LAN. I'll have a look at the link you give me when I have time. Unfortunately, this is not the case right now.

Thanks for your support.

Nicolas