lwip-users

RE : RE : [lwip-users] Broadcast packets breaking my network traffic

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: RE : RE : [lwip-users] Broadcast packets breaking my network traffic
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:29:32 +0200

>Yes in my port it's enabled. Should I disable it?

It can be useful. Simon just fix it in current CVS HEAD, but since you use lwip
1.1.0, I think you could have the problem

>I'm thinking if I should remove this or not...

That's what we do now (There is an option for that). But in fact, even ARP
packets can cause the problem. That's why, in current code, all packets are
process in a "core protection" context (when you use tcpip.c).

>I've read one of your posts about this issue on the list. ( December 2006, I
>guess). When do you think this will cause problems to me? For example, if I
>disable etharp_ip_input before calling tcp_output and re-enable it after
>tcp_sent, is it an enough protection? I really don't care answering arp
>requests for a short period of time as long as it is not a very very wrong
>move.

I don't know how is your application design, but saying you have two contexts:
one for your RX (your driver), and one for your application which send the
data. If your application send data, and there is a switch context (note that
sys_arch_protect only protect small parts of the code, like allocation, etc..),
and you start to process any input packet, you can corrupt the core. But how do
the "right" protection is dependant of your driver, your port, and your
application.

But even with all that, what it is really strange, is that all your boards hang
at the same time...

Do you have provide a capture file ?

Frédéric BERNON
HYMATOM SA