lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] HELP, PLease! DCHP Client

From: Robert Brown
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] HELP, PLease! DCHP Client
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:15:12 -0500

This is how I did it in lwip 0.6.4.  It might be different in the latest
version.

In lwipopts.h you must set your DHCP options:

#define LWIP_DHCP             1  /* Enable DHCP  */
#define DHCP_DOES_ARP_CHECK   0  /* Set this to 1 if you want dhcp to do an
arp check on the offered address  */
#define DHCP_OPTIONS_LEN      68 /* Space allocated for options in DHCP
messages */

In your initialization routine you must call the usual lwIP init functions:
sys_init();
mem_init();
memp_init();
pbuf_init();
netif_init();
ip_init();

If you are using udp and tcp then call
udp_init();
tcp_init();

Add your network interfaces...
Set ip.addr = 0, gw.addr = 0 and netmask.addr = 0 before you call
netif = netif_add(&ip, &netmask, &gw, ...)

To start the dhcp client on a network interface call
dhcp_start(netif);
and then set the NETIF_FLAG_DHCP flag in your netif.
netif->flags &= NETIF_FLAG_DHCP;

and then call
dhcp_fine_tmr(); every 500ms
dhcp_coarse_tmr(); every 60 sec

To stop the dhcp client call
dhcp_stop(netif);
and unset the NETIF_FLAG_DHCP flag in your netif.
netif->flags |= NETIF_FLAG_DHCP;
stop calling dhcp_fine_tmr() and dhcp_coarse_tmr().

I think that's it.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Rob Brown