lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] modulename for 0.6.4

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] modulename for 0.6.4
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:05:01 +0100

Hello Tom,

> $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/lwip co
> STABLE-0_6_4

"module" represents a "set of version controlled files". Very often, it is
just
the name of the top-level directory.

In our case, we have made two modules, which are also the top-level
directories

lwip
contrib

Any subdirectory thereof is also considered a module by CVS. For example,
if you are only interested in the coldfire port, you can use

contrib/ports/coldfire

as the module name.

Apart from the modules, every file can exist in numerous revisions (1.x etc)
These revisions are automated by CVS, you have little control over them.

Tags are labels that you can assign to a particular revision of a file. Tags
are commonly used to be "tagged" to a set of files, each of a particular
revision. This way, we can pick a particular collection of files and their
individual  revision simply by the name of one single tag.

Throughout lwip and contrib we use the "STABLE-0_6_4" tag to
point to release 0.6.4. We did this manually once we thought we had
a reason to release the files; we thought they worked really well
together in this case :-)

> And I get
>
> cvs server: cannot find module `STABLE-0_6_4' - ignored
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

You mixed up the tag with the module name.

This explains everything really well:

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

CVS is confusing at first. Once you understand what is possible,
everything falls into place. (OK, 90% falls in place :-)

Good reading,

Leon Woestenberg.